The selected candidate will join one of the most recognized applied research centers in Europe in a team pioneering the application and exploitation of advanced data management techniques based on semantics in agri-food and other sectors.
The selected candidate will work mostly in the context of European research, development and innovation projects, designing, implementing, and maintaining different data integration pipelines related to the agri-food domain. Initially, the candidate will be involved in two projects. The first project aims at demonstrating how the use of HPC, Big Data, Cloud Computing and the IoT can revolutionize farming, reduce scarcity and increase food supply, supported by key supercomputing centers across Europe. The second project aims at building a China-EU Web Observatory platform based on Open Linked Data to monitor soil status and threats and to assist the decision making for sustainable support of agro-ecosystem functions.
The candidate will define the processes for the collection, cataloguing and integration of different datasets, which may come from heterogeneous sources, in a wide variety of formats, both static and streamed data, and potentially including both public and private data. Hence, the goal of such pipelines is to create an integrated view over such disperse datasets, with a trusted and controlled access to data. This task may involve the specification of data models (semantic vocabularies), data transformation and (semantic) linking, as well as the customization and/or extension of the underlying software components and services. Moreover, the candidate will customize/develop interfaces for the exploitation of the integrated datasets.
Miejsce pracy: Centrum Badawcze Polskiego Internetu Optycznego, ul. Jana Pawła II nr 10, Poznań
Candidates are expected to hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related (master or higher are considered a plus), and/or at least 3 years of experience as Data Engineer or similar position, and she/he should have the following qualifications:
- Experience with data modelling (ER, UML, …)
- Practical knowledge of data representation and interchange formats (JSON, XML, …)
- Practical knowledge of data query languages (SQL, XQuery, …)
- Practical knowledge of (relational and/or non-relational) databases, including schema design, access, and basic management
- Good knowledge of Java
- Good knowledge of English (spoken and written), allowing the candidate to communicate (technically) in an international team, as well as to write technical reports
- Knowledge of tools supporting the teamwork (issue trackers, code versioning systems).
Other qualifications that are welcome but not obligatory:
- Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g., Python)
- Experience with semantic technologies (RDFS, OWL, SPARQL, SWRL, …), including semantic repositories (triple/quadstores), data transformation and data linking frameworks
- Knowledge of micro-services architecture (microservices)
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies at the level needed in the daily work of the programmer,
- Experience in reusing and extending software, including open source and internal projects.
Additionally, the candidate is expected to have:
- Good non-technical skills, including team work and communication abilities, good initiative, proactive, flexible and self-motivated
- Ability to work with multinational and multidisciplinary teams
Form of employment: labor contract (umowa o pracę) or contract for specific work (umowa o dzieło) (students)
- Stable work in a well-established institution, highly recognized at national and international level
- Participation in international projects in the field of computer science, working with emerging technologies and with applications in different domains
- Participation in the implementation of solutions aimed at providing real users with innovative solutions
- Possibility to participate in work meetings and other professional events abroad
- Social package, including co-financing of the Multisport card.
- Flexible schedule
The recruitment is a two-steps process: first, an interview with the unit leader and technical staff, including a discussion of experience and expectations (in English), followed by a short assessment of the candidate (data/development) skills (in Polish). Next, selected candidates will have an interview with the division director to agree on the final details of the salary and conditions (in Polish).
Interested candidates are invited to send their CV and cover letter in PDF format to the following address: email@example.com including the reference number of the announcement „PCSS-AGS-DS-2019”.
The application should contain the following statement (applications without this statement will be cancelled):
I hereby give my consent to the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan with its registered office in Poznań (61-704), Poland, Z. Noskowskiego 12/14 street, to process my personal data contained in the application form for the purpose and scope necessary to carry out current and future recruitment for the position <job title>. I have been informed that my consent is voluntary and that I have the right to withdraw my consent at any time and the withdrawal of consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing performed on the basis of this consent prior to its withdrawal. I have also read the data protection information.
Information on data protection
In accordance with Article 13 of the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council 2016/679 of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), hereinafter referred to as „the GDPR”, we inform you that:
1. The controller of personal data is the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry of Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan with its address in Poznań (61-704), Poland, Z. Noskowskiego 12/14 street REGON [National Business Registry Number] 000849327; NIP [Tax Identification Number] 777-00-02-062, telephone number 61 858 20 01, e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org (hereinafter referred to as The Institute).
2. The Institute has appointed the Data Protection Officer, who may be contacted in writing via traditional post sent to the following address: Inspektor Ochrony Danych, ul. Z. Noskowskiego 12/14, 61-704 Poznań, or by e-mail at: email@example.com.
3. Personal data are processed in order to perform the tasks of the administrator related to the recruitment for the vacant position.
4. The legal basis for data processing shall be the Act of 26 June 1974 – The Polish Labour Code, the Act of 30 April 2010 on the Polish Academy of Sciences or the consent of the data subject.
5. Personal data is stored and processed in order to carry out the current recruitment process for a period of 2 months, and based on the consent for future recruitment for a period of 12 months. After this period, your personal data will be effectively destroyed.
6. Your personal data will not be transferred to third country (outside EU).
7. The person whose data is being processed is entitled to the right:
o to access to the content of their personal data, request their correction or deletion, pursuant to the principles set forth in Articles 15 – 17 of the GDPR;
o to limit the processing of data in the cases provided for in Article 18 of the GDPR;
o to transfer data, pursuant to the principles set forth in Article 20 of the GDPR;
o to withdraw consent at any time without affecting the lawfulness of a processing carried out on the basis of consent prior to its withdrawal;
o to lodge a complaint with the President of the Office for the Protection of Personal Data.
8. Providing personal data in the scope resulting from Article 22(1) of the Act of 26 June 1974. – The Labour Code is mandatory, providing data in a broader scope is voluntary and requires consent to the processing of such data.